#1 Watch or Listen To "The Secret To Depending On God."
Consider this Sunday morning’s lesson. You can listen here: http://bit.ly/1gCDfNL
Or watch here [video will be posted by Monday each week]: www.vimeo.com/rrcoc
What stuck out to you as interesting?
Did you encounter any challenging or re-orienting truth?
#2 The Secret's Out
What does it mean for a person to be "dependent"? What about "independent"? Which one are Christians supposed to be?
Is being dependent active or passive? Explain.
On Sunday we said the secret to depending on God is twofold:
1. Talk to Him.
2. Walk with Him.
- Why is prayer so important as we try to depend on God?
- What does prayer "accomplish"?
- What happens when we walk in the ways God's commanded? What happens when we don't?
Read I Peter 3:12...
"For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
- According to this passage, how do prayer and walking with God relate to one another?
- If you have one and not the other, what will be the outcome?
#3 Cross Already
Often, when people talk about depending on God they mean passively waiting for God to act.
Read Exodus 14:13-16. What does God to say to the waiting Israelites?
Have you ever been guilty of using "waiting on God" as an excuse not to do the work God's already laid out for you to do? Share.
#4 Make A Dependency Plan
Do you need to depend on God for something right now?
Make a list of personal requests, ways you need God to show up and work in your life or in the life of our church. Then, do two things:
1. Let's pray. Ask God to do the things only He can do. Pray for each request.
2. As you consider what it is you want God to do, determine what it is God's expecting you to do. Pick one way you'll be more faithful in walking with God and ask your small group to hold you accountable.
It's been said, "The more we depend on God, the more dependable we find Him to be."
- What does that mean exactly?
- Have you found it to be true?
#6 For Encouragement
Check out the group Quiet Storm and their rendition of the song "I Can Depend On God"