WHAT IS THIS?
Each year around this time, we join together as a church for a 24-hour period of prayer and fasting. We believe this is absolutely critical to the health and well-being of our church. If you're a part of RRCOC, please join us in begging for God's presence and blessing on us in 2017. Sign up via the button below!
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
During this time we ask that you safely abstain from food and spend time in concentrated prayer and communion with our Father.
We're asking each person to devote a specific hour of this period to focused prayer for our church.
Multiple people can sign up for the same hour. And if you want, we would encourage you to gather in small groups during this time and pray together lifting your voice in prayer and song!
WHEN IS IT?
We'll begin at noon (before lunch) on Saturday Feb. 11 and continue through Sunday morning worship, after which we encourage you to break your fast together with some brothers and sisters in Christ. Make plans with a few people now to have a meal together after worship on the 12th!
BUT I'VE NEVER FASTED...
Great! This is the perfect time to start. Fasting is simply the act of abstaining from food in order to move your focus from the flesh to the Spirit.
In Scripture, Christians fast during times that they're asking God for big things. They also fast in times of grief and at times when they want to increase their spiritual focus. Jesus assumed his followers would fast, so if you're a follower of Jesus, you should explore this part of walking with him.
For a quick primer that will give you a handle on what fasting's all about and help you get started, check out this resource from Dave Clayton.
WHAT SHOULD I PRAY ABOUT?
This time is designed for you to lay before God praise, thanksgiving, confession, and supplication regarding our church. Pray about everything that's on your heart as you think about the past, present, and future of your church.
Too, you might pray through the church directory, lifting up each family to God by name and including anything you know about their situation. You might pray for the elders and staff as they lead the church, and for the ministry leaders and small group leaders and volunteers--you get the idea.
Specifically, we would ask that you please pray for the following:
- That God would bless our church and its leadership with a bold, shared vision for our present and future.
- That God would use us to reach those in our community that are far from Him, and that He'd do this both inside and outside the walls of our church building.
- That God would enable us to live love in the direction of one another, in the direction of outsiders, and in His direction as well.
- That God would bless the marriages in our congregation and help each married couple to work on their marriage to His glory.
- That God would raise up more small group leaders as we place more and more people into small groups.
- Thanking God for the blessing of our giving surplus last year, and asking that he would continue to bless our church with a vision that's greater than what we could imagine on our own--and the means to pursue that vision.
- That God would inhabit and work powerfully through each of our church's ministries. Click here for a list.
- That God would be present and active during upcoming transitions of both of our missionary families:
- Tom and Sandra Sibley - for God to bless their new roles at the Bible Institute in Zagreb, and for Him to guide Perry Step as he takes over as director.
- Garrett and Stacy East - for their separation from Tanzania, their move back, their job situation, for their son Isaiah, and for their soon-to-be-born baby.
WHERE WILL THIS HAPPEN?
Wherever you want it to. Stay at home, go for a walk, find a quiet spot outdoors. Pray by yourself, pray with your family, gather a group of friends--whatever you prefer.
You might consider inviting others to join you and pray together in the same place. Wherever you pray, we ask that you'd please join the body in this time of intentional reflection and connection with the Creator.
Click the button below to sign up for a specific hour of prayer.